ESGE Research Champions Den
ESGE Research Champions Den
Advance your research project by winning up to 10 000 € of financial support from ESGE and guidance from our jury of expert researchers
The ESGE Research Champions Den is an annual competition at ESGE Days. The aim is to bring hidden talent to light and to help established researchers to share their ideas and upcoming projects with the endoscopy world.
Potential contenders submit their research idea online. A “jury” of five experienced endoscopists with established track records in research select what they consider to be the ten best projects, based on the importance of their future impact on endoscopic practice and their creativity and originality.
At ESGE Days, the ten selected applicants each have 5 minutes to present their projects to the jury, who then quiz each applicant for 5 minutes. The jury each have 2000€ (20 “points”) to distribute to the projects they judge to be most deserving of support.
The jury then selects the ESGE Research Champions and decides how many points each should receive.
The applicants who are not successful in obtaining financial support for their research project get free registration at the next ESGE Days. The winners are committed to submitting study reports to ESGE and their research results to Endoscopy.
ESGE individual members from around the globe are eligible to apply, and physicians at any stage of their careers may apply.
The jury will be five experienced endoscopists with established track records in research. All jury decisions are final. The ESGE Research Committee Chair will be the moderator who introduces applicants and moderates the session. After the jury’s discussion, the moderator announces which applicants have won financial support.
Winners are committed to supplying study reports to ESGE and to submitting the study results to Endoscopy.
Before you apply, see the ESGE Research Champions Den Rules and Regulations below for further essential information.
|Sunday, December 1, 2019||Submission portal opens|
|Monday, February 10, 2020||Submission deadline|
|February 15 - March 15, 2020||Evaluation of applications|
|Mid March 2020||Notification of selected applicants|
|April 24, 2020||ESGE Research Champions Den at ESGE Days 2020|
- Applicants should be ESGE individual members working in a medical institution within the ESGE zone (Central and Western Europe, Mediterranean and North Africa).
- Applications may come from any country.
- Applications must be submitted via the online application form in order to be considered for the award. The application should include a clear rationale for the research idea, as well as the hypothesis, the study design, and the end points to be measured. It should also include the current status of the project and any other financial support already obtained or planned. Up to three additional supporting items (e.g. CVs) can be added. The maximum file size is 200 MB.
- Applications submitted via any other channel will not be considered.
- Applications must be in English.
- The deadline for applications is Monday, February 10, 2020at 24:00 CET, and the results will be announced in March 2020.
- The jury evaluates and attributes a score to each valid application received, and selection will be based on the following criteria: a. impact on the future of endoscopic practice b. creativity and c. originality.
- ESGE reserves the right to disqualify any application from further consideration at any point of the review proceedings.
- ESGE reserves the right to oblige any potential winner to provide information such that ESGE might be satisfied with the rigor and integrity of the work, as well as compliance with international guidelines.
- ESGE reserves the right to amend the rules and regulations. If the rules and regulations are amended, ESGE will contact those who have already submitted applications and update them with regard to the alterations.
- Entry implies acceptance of these rules, and all applicants agree to be bound by them upon submitting an application.
- ESGE will keep personal details submitted with the application for a reasonable time so that potential winners can be contacted.
- ESGE acknowledges that the topic submitted for review is the intellectual property of the applicant/s.
- ESGE will not pass on personal details to any other organization, with the sole exception of naming the winner(s) and publicizing the winner(s) in accordance with these rules and regulations.
- The winner(s) agree to have his/her/their name(s) published for promotion purposes along with a description of the winning project, and to be available for media purposes including photographs and interviews.
- All decisions made by the ESGE in relation to the contest are final and no correspondence concerning decisions will be entered into.
- ESGE is not liable for any damage, loss or disappointment suffered by any person taking part or not being able to take part.
- Members of the ESGE Days 2020 Organizing/Scientific committee and the ESGE Research Champions Den jury are not eligible to apply.